Wild Rye's Orange Poppyseed Cake with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
This lovely cake is well suited for so many occasions. Dinner party or brunch? Check! Snacking cake for out of town guests? Check! A just because treat for you and yours? Check Check Check! It's not too sweet, full of sunshine for the soul, and the cream cheese frosting seals the deal to make it a showstopper. Feel free to use whatever citrus you have. I have made this with a combination of lemon and grapefruit. Just grapefruit. Tangelo. Orange. Literally, whatever your heart desires or you have on hand.
1 box Wild Rye Olive Oil Cake Mix - classic or gluten-free
1 1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/4 cup milk*
Zest of one orange
⅓ cup orange juice
1 Tablespoon poppyseeds
1 box Wild Rye Classic Vanilla Frosting Mix
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
2 Tablespoons milk, any
*Check out the box for plant-based alternatives
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Prepare a 9x2 or 13x9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, milk, eggs, orange zest, orange juice, and poppy seeds until well combined.
- Add your Wild Rye Olive Oil Cake mix and whisk until your batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 40-50 minutes. *Use the trusty toothpick method printed on the box to know when the cake is baked!
Frosting & Decorating Instructions:
- In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, whip 2 sticks of butter and 4 ounces of cream cheese until soft, smooth, and fluffy.
- Add in the Classic Vanilla Frosting Mix, 2 tablespoons milk, and mix until your frosting comes together! Then set aside.
- Once your cake is cooled completely, remove it from the pan and peel the parchment off the bottom. Then place it on your serving platter, which oftentimes for me is as simple as a cutting board. But you do you, friend.
- Dollop frosting on your cake and smooth across the top. I like to swirl and swoop the frosting without worrying too much about it being perfect. In this case, imperfection is what I’m going for.
- Once your cake top is frosted to your liking, decorate with flowers, sliced citrus, citrus zest, or keep it plain.
- Slice and enjoy!