Pumpkin Olive Oil Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
It's pumpkin season!
Am I the first person in line when Starbucks releases their pumpkin spice lattes? Hell no. In fact, I can’t even tell you the last time I ordered a latte from Starbucks! That said, do I get why people can be maniacs for all things pumpkin? Hell yes.
The emergence of pumpkin spice signals the changing of the seasons. Our departure from long summer days, pool parties, and frosty pitchers of margaritas. It is the first note of the song that sings of cool crisp weather, snuggles by the fire, scarves, sweaters and hats (oh my!), and the beginning of the end of the year!
This recipe is meant to harmonize with the voices of fall. The flavors of warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg blended with luscious pumpkin puree get even better with the depth of flavor and richness that olive oil brings to the party. The cream cheese frosting with a hint of cinnamon is entirely satisfying, delightfully surprising, and not too sweet or rich. In my mind, this cake is the epitome of the class and refinement of the fall season, but it also brings the fun and celebratory nature that is at the heart of what Wild Rye Baking is. This cake may be on trend, but it is also timeless. It is now a forever fall recipe in my household. And that says a lot. If a recipe is lucky enough to make it into my forever recipe fold, I know it's a good one. It's reliable. Memorable. Cravable. And it’s looked forward to year after year.
I give you: Wild Rye Baking’s Pumpkin Olive Oil Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting. The name kinda sells itself, right?! I cannot wait for you to make this cake, share it with your people, and indulge in the magic that these flavors and this time of year bring.
Happy Baking beautiful friends,
Love you like crazy,
Wild Rye Pumpkin Olive Oil Cake w/Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
1 box Wild Rye Olive Oil Cake Mix - classic or gluten-free
1 cup whole milk
¾ cup olive oil
¾ cup pumpkin puree
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 box Wild Rye Classic Vanilla Frosting Mix
2 sticks butter, softened*
One 8 ounce package of cream cheese, softened*
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
*Check out the box for plant-based alternatives
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Prepare two 8” or 9” round baking pans with nonstick cooking spray and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, olive oil, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin pie spice until well combined.
- Add your Wild Rye Olive Oil Cake mix and whisk until your batter is smooth.
- Divide batter equally into the prepared baking pans and bake for 35-40 minutes. *Use the trusty toothpick method printed on the box to know when the cake is baked!
Frosting & Decorating Instructions:
- In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, whip 2 sticks of butter and softened cream cheese until soft and fluffy.
- Add in the Classic Vanilla Frosting Mix, 2 tablespoons milk, and cinnamon mixing until your frosting comes together! Then set aside.
- Once your cakes are cooled completely, remove them from their pans and peel the parchment off the bottom. Then place it on your serving platter, which oftentimes for me is as simple as a cutting board. But you do you, friend.
- Dollop ¾ cup cream cheese frosting on top of your cake and smooth evenly across the top. Place your second layer on top as evenly as possible. At this stage, I like to freeze my cake for 5-10 minutes so I am frosting the outside on a very stable cake base :). Finish frosting the top and outsides of your cake with the remaining frosting, taking a taste from the spatula here and there as you go.
- Finally, chill your pumpkin olive oil cake for about 30 minutes before serving and keep any leftovers in the fridge.